I know I’m not the only one who loves a good decorative houseplant, but can you recognize which types are toxic and potentially deadly to your fuzzy family member? No worries, we’re always here to help. In honor of Poison Prevention Week (that’s a thing, yes), we’ve compiled a comprehensive list of household plants poisonous for pets. These are popular and pretty, but if you have dogs or cats at home, please make sure to keep these out of your pets’ reach!
One of the most beautiful flowers is actually extremely toxic to cats. Any ingestion of the plant can result in severe kidney damage.
These pretty flowers contain pyrethrins. If ingested they may cause gastrointestinal discomfort as well as drooling, vomiting and diarrhea. In certain cases depression and loss of coordination may also develop if enough of the plant is consumed.
Great for sun burns, not so much for your pets, The aloe plant is toxic to both dogs and cats. Aloin is the toxic in this plant and can cause vomiting and/or reddish urine.
Once ingested, these flowers can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation- the bulbs are particularly dangerous. Effects also include loss of appetite, shut down of the central nervous system, convulsions and cardiac abnormalities.
We agree – those pink flowers are SO pretty. The problem is that azaleas (and other plants from the rhododendron family) contain substances known as grayantoxins. These cause vomiting, drooling, diarrhea and weakness in pets. Severe azalea poisoning can ultimately lead to a coma and death.
Whether you’re excited by legalization or not, the ingestion of cannabis is a nightmare for pets. It can cause depression of the central nervous system and coordination issues, as well as vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, increased heart rate. In severe cases, it can cause seizures and liver failure.
This is a common garden plant popular around Easter, and all throughout Spring time. This species contains toxins that cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hyper-salivation, anorexia and tremors.
8. JADE PLANT
Jade plant (baby jade, dwarf rubber plant, jade tree, Chinese rubber plant, Japanese rubber plant or friendship tree) is toxic to cats and dogs. The toxic agent in this plant isn’t particularly identified but ingestion causes vomiting, depression, loss of coordination and in severe cases, slow heartbeat.8.
If chewed or ingested, this popular household plant causes mechanical irritation and swelling of the tongue and lips, along with other parts of the gastrointestinal tract. Stay away from the satin pothos (also known as the silk pothos), particularly.
10. HEARTLEAF PHILODENDRON
The heartleaf philodendron (a.k.a. horsehead philodendron, cordatum, fiddle leaf, panda plant, split-leaf philodendron, fruit salad plant, red emerald, red princess or saddle leaf) is a very common and easy-to-grow houseplant that is toxic to both dogs and cats. This plant contains a chemical that irritates the mouth, tongue and lips of animals. A pet that ingests this plant may also experience increased salivation, vomiting and difficulty swallowing.
These ten plants are amongst the most popular choices for house plants (…and other activities), but by no means is this a comprehensive list! Other plants to avoid around the house if you have pets include the oleander, English ivy, clyclamen, peace lily, schefflera, and the autumn crocus. Before hitting your favorite nursery, please search the ASPCA’s plant database, or consult your vet.