Can dogs eat grapes? The short answer is no. Unfortunately, some dogs are very sensitive to grapes and raisins and can cause life-threatening, acute (fast-onset) kidney failure. The kidneys are vitally important organs that function to filter the blood to sort out body wastes that can be eliminated in the urine. If your dog eats even one grape, it is possible for the kidneys to fail to perform this essential function which results in a life-threatening inability to create urine. The tricky part of grape ingestion is we have absolutely no idea why some dogs have this reaction and some dogs do not. To keep your dog as safe as possible, do not feed them grapes, raisins or any product that contains these foods. If your dog has already eaten a grape, even just one, it is highly recommended to play it safe and have your pet hospitalized for decontamination, fluids and kidney monitoring.